Thursday, April 8, 2010

Typography, Language WTF?

As my trip gets further into the past, I forget the irritations (sot of) and discomfort (sort of) and remember how it was more in my Kodachrome 64 memory. The 'oh wow' parts, or the light in the afternoon in Mysore, or the aggravation with, oh so many things. Then I stop and look at something I brought back and that makes me happy. Happy to be here with this thing from there in my hand or sitting on my desk. Then I have a mental negotiation of how it was and how it is now and the mental compromise to be at peace with both. The fourth dimension of time can do that for a person.
This photo was taken in Madurai near the Meenakshi Temple, it's a metal security gate that is written in Tamil shot at an angle (distorting it more), so it's not English, but a language  (more confusing), with drop shadow for the type....then there is the stacked script of the Tamil language in the corner. I love this vernacular stuff, it's one of the things about India I really do enjoy, all the hand painted signs and wall ads, in alphabets I cannot begin to comprehend. When in Europe, I always feel I have to try to decipher. In India I don't, but I would like to know more, or so I think. Actually, probably not. Ignorance is bliss, though it can get you in the end. Or in my case, it seemed to literally bite me in the butt.

No comments:

Post a Comment