Sunday, August 21, 2011

DIY project


This hassock is all that is left from a set of rattan chairs and hassocks. My Dad got them after they had been abandoned in one of the apartments of one of the buildings he use to manage. Originally they were the natural caramel/beige rattan that was getting chewed up by time, wear and weather. We used this rattan set for the front porch in Orient. In one of my design mistakes, I painted it this minty green. It was a poor rift on some quasi-Martha Stewart idea, basically mediocre to bad.. Oh well. I kept meaning to re-paint it, like a white or something neutral....
Time passed.....
I've been trying to sell the house for 3 years (there has been a recession and a flat housing market, just in case you were in Antarctica), but time marches on. The chairs fell apart, rotted. Finally after throwing out EVERYTHING in the barn, the chairs got tossed with the everything else. All except this hassock. It still was holding strong. I have such nice memories of sitting on this very wonderful porch and I thought this small piece of furniture (with some help) could be the 'madeleine cake' to elicit the memories of a beautiful place of a time past.
So....I did some thinking. Found some vintage fabric from the 60s that I bought back in the 90s. I did some canvasing of opinions for color possibilities to replace the minty green shade and...voila!


The house is warming up to get sold (more activity, more interest), so meanwhile it sits on its porch. But I will take it with me to wherever my new porch happens to be.



No comments:

Post a Comment