Monday, March 1, 2010

How Shrek gets dressed everyday...

If he lived in Kerala, that is.
This is part of the Kathkalli ritual of dance performance. They perform in elaborate costumes in operatic dramas. It reminds me of Kabuki. This being India, perhaps this is where Kabuki comes from?  OR vice-versa? The performance I saw was a group of different styles of dance with a lot of pre-recorded stuff. It was ok, but the live performance was terrific. I found it all fasicinating, beautiful, highly skilled (sometimes jaw dropping), and just a joy to behold. I understood very little of it, I knew it was different dance systems and a lot was ritualized stuff, but to me it was so good, knowing nothing didn't make me feel I didn't 'get it'. Will post some photos I took during the performance (without flash, so more 'energetic' and 'painterly'). It was a good way to end the Cochin part of the journey, left early the following AM to fly off to Delhi.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment