Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Saggar who? what?



These pictures are of objects I made from porcelain, white stoneware and terra cotta or earthenware dabbed with different chemical mixes, root kill, sulfates, iron oxides, etc., and put in a clay box called a saggar. The whole point of this is the opposite of what it was devised for. Originally it was to protect the fine white of the chinese porcelain from the flames and not mar the finish. In this case you are putting it in a box in order to change the surface. Along with the ceramic things that I made I wrapped wire, masking tape, added sawdust, seaweed and shells with the great hope that these things will cause a reaction to the clay surface. All done in the hopes of a 'happy accident'. Hopefully more happy than accidental. We'll see....

I am working on a Buddha figure, Avalokiteśvara – the Buddha of infinite compassion, or Boddhisatva, literally, the lord who looks down, who is often depicted with '1000 arms and hands, and eyes to show his compassion of always watching and  reaching out to everyone and everything. He gets this reputation because he refused to go on to Nirvana until everyone was able to and he stayed incarnated so he could help everyone. What a guy, huh? Anyway, I saw a couple of statues at the Guimet museum in Paris awhile back and there was a Korean one that really moved me deeply. So I thought I'd make like 50 hands (it's not number, but effect, right?) out of different clay bodies done in this saggar firing method to represent all the different 'hands' Avalokiteśvara 'gives'. Again, we'll see...

Also, I have this idea about ladders and hands holding them....not like Jacob's ladder, different, but not sure what it is, except reaching or climbing. Enuf said...

No comments:

Post a Comment