Monday, November 30, 2009

V is for Visa

Being American of the over 40 type, I remember how being American was like 'living for free' in the rest of the world. We might be envied or resented, but you could go anywhere with an US passport. Well, not so. Interesting that I hit this wall in going to Vietnam. All the way to the airport in my 'blond american bubble' and then, you must get visa, go to embassy tomorrow. I misunderstood when I was told you could get one at the airport. 'Oh', I thought, 'some rubber stamp process, no problemo'. Well 2 days later and a day of going to embassy, airline offices and talking to reservation desks at hotels, now no problem. *sigh*

Meanwhile a bit more time in Bangkok than I planned (or wanted). It's all a bit too much here. Yes, more intense than NYC, maybe a parallel would be Rockefeller Center at Christmas time around 6pm or Times Square at New Years. Hey, what is it like now that it is xmas season?  Anyway, it's kind of busy like that but more 'Blade Runner'-esque. More hot, no rain (humidity this time is bearable) and very very noisy. All those engines:cars, motor bikes, air conditioning units....

Anyway, I have enjoyed doing a little documentation of 'spirit houses', they are everywhere. Almost as prevalent as sex tourists (bad joke). They can simple, elaborate, garish tucked into spaces near a business, in a courtyard of a hotel or home or apartment building. As I understand it, it is not only for the gods, but for the ancestors to give them a home so they won't haunt the houses/businesses of the living. You give them drink and small offerings. What I notice a lot of are bottles of cherry red Fanta opened with a straw.

So in about a half hour, I leave this 'air conditioned nightmare' (well, maybe not that bad), armed with visa for 1 month and a stand by ticket. Wish me luck. Hopefully....Good Morning Vietnam.

BTW- I am trying to figure out publishing more photos to the website. For each image I have about 5, but only the last one publishes. I will also try to link up a flick'r account or something and have a link. I have to pay for wifi use at this hotel. Promised 'complimentary wifi in Vietnam', fingers crossed.

No comments:

Post a Comment