Monday, February 22, 2010

A day in the country

We left early in the morning, skies still misty and overcast. On the way to see temples...how did that happen. These temples are nearby Mysore (relatively, about and hour and a half), and they are jewels of the Hoysala era (1006-1346 AD). The intracacy of the carving and the shape of the temples are remarkable as they are beautiful. I had been to Somnathpur on the last visit and it has inspired me to this day. Going to see two temples that led up to that one was a not to be missed excursion.

Traveling through pretty countryside, rice patties, oxen with carts, small roads with beautiful trees all wrapped in a cool mist was delightful and another universe compared to my last temple expedition. I will post some photos of the way there and then some of the temples. It really isn't the temples, it's the sculpture in them that is the draw for me. I was in Ganesh (sculpture) heaven!

But let me post some photos of the nature and land, the other side of the temple culture which in Indian sensibility is all part of the unity of one! Duality is considered an illusion, the differences are not real, it's all the same. That would mean that Madurai, my sickness, the lovely countryside and beautiful carving are all the same. Well I guess in my experience they are all within the trip I've taken. But I give preference to the comfortable versus the 'un-' (damn right). That is my lack of enlightenment for not suspending judgement. Well, I do not claim to have any kind of 'enlightenment status' on my scorecard, so, yes I prefer one to the other. Perhaps time and distance....the memory of it will blend it all together as a clear thought without emotion or judgement. Or maybe it will just receed into a forgotten memory. (even on the internet). Ok, I'm off the soapbox, I'll just post some pictures and let them do the talking.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. Hopefully the "un" memories will fade away more than the good memories.

    ReplyDelete