Saturday, February 13, 2010

Seeking Enlighten-something

Posted by Picasa 
 When I first came to India in 2004, I was definitely seeking something. I also think I wanted to be seduced by the exotic-ness that seemed to emanate from everything I saw and experienced. Now coming to Mysore to do yoga again after Patthabi Jois' passing is another level of experience. Coming for a week for a 'tune up' is what I had in mind. I thought it would be nostalgic, instructive, fun. It has been all those things. Now a week after being here and practicing for 6 days in a row (not my usual tally for weekly practice), I am still connected (though my back is kind of sore, as is my belly) more than ever to the practice. 

Guruji is still very much present in the shala. There are a lot of new people who do not have any experience of him, but want to do Ashtanga practice. (I remember when). My time slot is late in the morning, 9:15 since I only come for a week, though now it will be two, and my level is a bit remedial. It's a nice to be there because it is less crowded. Saraswati has her eye on everyone, all of us are addressed as 'you', and each 'you' seems to know which 'you' we are. The questions she asks are, if we did an asana and did we bind in it. She normally knows the answer before we tell her. If we have moved on without her assistance, 'why not you vwait?' Or she looks over while assisting someone else, saying 'no, no, you do this, not that'. Anotherwords there isn't a lot of theory. Guruji's (Patthabi Jois) phrase, 'Ashtanga is 99% perspiration, 1% theory' holds strong. Maybe it's the warm weather, aka lots of perspiration, or the vegetarian diet, or being in the shala where I learned so much in 2 months 6 years ago, but my practice is so much more solid, flexible and ENJOYABLE! 

This isn't a glib statement, but I really do feel 'the guru's grace' doing my practice. I feel so fortunate to have known and worked with Patthabi Jois in this yoga path/journey I've taken. At the same time, practicing in my room on Sunday when I first arrived to Mysore, I realize that I am  my own teacher. That after years of doing my usual practice at Eddie's, being busy with my life, dithering over this and that. When it comes down to practice: it's me, the mat and the breath, period. I've learned this before, it's an easy lesson to forget. Listening to oneself in a life so full of 21st century distractions it's easy to go deaf to the quiet inner voice or even  forget it's there. So, I have one side of my practice being part of a tradition and another side of just doing it. The reminder I came all the way here to receive, again.

No comments:

Post a Comment