Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Chillin' in Chiang Mai


This has been a tonic for the soul here in Thailand. After an amazing adventure in the Angkor Wat complex and time in a place still raw from the ravages of war and man's inhumanity it was time to go to a more healing place and meet up with my pal and travel mate Deb.

So after a bit of confusion with planes we met up at the Chiang Mai airport and was transported to the Pak Chiang Mai guest house, a traveler's paradise and an oasis into the calm, wat filled city of Chiang Mai in the north of Thailand nestled amongst the hills.

Where we stayed was so beautiful, a small waterfall and fountain with beautiful fish swimming in the pond. The terrace and outdoor space is lovely, food delicious, the room was beautiful, great bathroom and shower, we had a terrace, it was heaven! Plus, the people who worked there and ran the place took us in as if we were extended family. It is considered #1 guesthouse in the area on trip advisor and they are not kidding. Plus, the woman who gave massages is a master. I don't know when I've had such a good massage! I feel that Thai massage is 'the way' the stretching as well as the deep tissue work is amazing. It's not as deep as Rolfing, but that gets into a whole other thing. Anyway, I feel as though after all the non-asana yoga I have been doing and not doing much in the way of Hatha yoga it has been wonderfully healing.


The town itself is lovely and being in Thailand has been a great cure to all the adventure of Vietnam and Cambodia. So let me tell you a bit more and share some photos. Where we stayed was across from a terra cotta ceramics atelier. There was a garden full of statues of Ganesh, Buddha, Garuda and a host of others. It was amazing! Made me happy in all my ganeshagirl-ness. Found a couple of other ceramic places as well. (bringing coal to Newcastle I suppose) Just walking around and looking at wats (temples), I did feel like I was more on a vacation than a social/anthropological tour. Definitely needed to feel that way, as well as the food was terrific, no surprise. Thai food is delicious, but I have to say that I've grown a bit partial to the more subtle, less 'event-like flavors' of Vietnam and now Laos.


I'll send some photos and comments of Chiang Mai and then will talk to you from Luang Prabang or LP.  Just think chitty chitty bang bang.

No comments:

Post a Comment