Tuesday, December 8, 2009

That's not a temple, it's a Pagoda

Hi,I'm having trouble uploading images, don't know quite why yet. Are they too big and I'm maxed out? Or it's too slow. *sigh* I don't know but will check. Meanwhile I seem to have synched my pictures with Picasa, so hopefully you can see the Hue photos as well as the rest of Hanoi.

The Pagoda I mean is on the Perfume river in quite a lovely spot. The pagoda is nice, the grounds are lovely. It is this temple where the monk drove to Hanoi poured gasoline over himself and lit himself on fire to protest the North Vietnamese regimes opression of Buddhism. The car he drove himself to the spot is sitting in the garage on the grounds (a bit rusty) with an explanation and the famous still photo of him in flames.

Today, there were young boys chanting and sounding a gong. It started as we arrived and I got it on MP3, I will be sending it out shortly.

Hue was the center of the Tet offensive a bloody massacre that killed many citizens of the city and for 3+ weeks had the VC flag waving from the citadel (another famous picture) which now has the Vietnamese flag and a bunch of rusted tanks nearby (American and Soviet made).

This is the last Hue post. Will move onto Hoi An, more about the beach and cooking classes and eating.
Working a bit behind, because I left Vietnam yesterday and writing from Siem Reap, Cambodia. I'm about to go out in a tuk tuk to have a day tour of temples in the Angkor Wat complex. Tomorrow the temple at dawn!

No comments:

Post a Comment